Monday, August 27, 2007

The Fat Man Cometh
David Wells made his much anticipated first start for the Dodgers today. To everyone's surprise, it wasn't a total disaster. Boomer pitched 5 innings and gave up only 2 runs en route to a 6-2 Dodger victory. Unfortunately, the Dodgers are still a long shot to win the Wild Card, as they sit 3.5 games back at the moment.

This is reminiscent of last year's trade deadline when we picked up another old soft tosser, Greg Maddux. Maddux went 6-3 and
posted a 3.30 ERA in his stint with the club, and helped get the team to the postseason not only with his pitching, but with his mentoring of the Dodger youngsters. Wells may very well be effective on the mound, but I don't see him teaching Chad Billingsley to do anything but down a slice of pizza in 3 bites. Thus, I don't see David Wells helping out enough to overcome that deficit in the standings.

Getting Wells does have one great side-effect that LA fans can be happy about: the cutting of Brett Tomko. Out of all the terrible pitchers we've continually thrown out there in my lifetime (and there have been a lot), Tomko might be the worst of all. That's quite a title considering he has competition like Carlos and Odalis Perez. Tomko this year was 2-11, which is about as worse a record as is humanly possible. Grady Little could have let the mayor of Cincinnati toe the rubber and we would have gotten better results.

Becks Exhausted
David Beckham was tired, so he did not make the trip to Colorado after playing 3 games in 6 days with two 11 hour flights mixed in. The Galaxy ended up getting demolished 3-0. Again.

Since Beckham came to the MLS, the Galaxy have yet to win an actual MLS game. Their only win was over the D.C. United in a Superliga game, which, let's face it, doesn't mean shit. At this rate, it'll only be a few more months til Becks follows in the path of another disgruntled LA superstar, Kobe Bryant, and demands a trade to the Houston Dynamo.

I Am An Idiot
After watching the Aliens vs. Predator: Requiem trailer on IGN, I find myself excited for this movie. Am I proud of that fact? No. But I am excited.

Ever since they shamed both great series by making the first Alien vs. Predator, I have been waiting for someone to bring some respectability back. Will that happen with this movie? Probably not. But I am excited.

I am a huge fan of Alien, Aliens, Alien 3, and Predator (Alien: Resurrection and Predator 2 never happened), and I guess I just can't get enough of these violent extraterrestrials, no matter how steaming the turd-of-a-movie may be. I can't help it.
I am an idiot. Because chances are this movie will stink just as hard as the last, yet I am still excited.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home