Sunday, June 18, 2006

Ahhhhh, It's good to be done with school. Finals are over, finally. Now I get a week to sit on my ass at home and relax a bit. Its unbelievably relaxing, although uncomfortably hot, here at home. I was sweating bullets yesterday afternoon as I sat in my backyard naked reading a book. But I'm glad I'm at least able to do that.

So I had a couple buddies come over last night and hang out. When they got here, the Dodger game was in the 10th inning. The plan was to finish watching the game and then go bowling, but the game never finished, and we never bowled. After 17 innings of hard fought baseball, the Dodgers fell to the Oakland A's 5-4. The loss echoed the endless pain of what it is to be a true Dodger fan. I should have been proud of my guys that had just poured their blood, sweat and tears on to the field for over five hours, but I was not. The reason? It's especially disheartening when you know the outcome of a game like this before it's actually decided. And I don't mean make a prediction you're not sure about coming true. I knew what would happen at the end of this game with certainty.

With the rest of the National League West losing tonight, the Dodgers had a golden opportunity to go up at least two games on the rest of the division. Derek Lowe pitched a great game until the 8th, when it began to unravel. He gave up a run on two walks, a double and a single. He was clearly tired and done for the night. Grady Little, however, left him in too long as always. Flashes of Pedro in 2003 ran through the minds of all Dodger fans. "TAKE HIM OUT!" we all shouted, but alas, Grady did not heed our advice. Bobby Crosby then proceeded to whack a two-run double that gave the A's the lead. Woe is me. Luckily, the Dodgers tied it off Huston Street in the 9th.

Throughout extra innings, the Dodgers emptied out their bullpen, having everyone pitch great shutout ball. As I saw the Dodgers trot out all our relievers, Baez, Broxton, Saito, Beimel, all going at least two innings each, a familiar fear swept through my insides like a week old pizza. I turned to my friends on the couch next to me and said, "They better end this game quick before they run out of pitchers and have to bring Jae Seo in, because at that point, it's over." I could sense a feeling in my friends faces that they thought I was joking. But I was dead serious. I'd seen too many Jae Seo eggs layed already this season, and too many games blown by Korean pitchers in the past (check archives for more on this). The Dodgers have lost the last 7 games in which Seo has made an appearance. 7!!! In a row!!! So what does Jae Seo do in his first inning of relief? He proceeds to load the bases. At which point I turned to my friends again and proclaimed, "Dammit, it's over. He's gonna walk in the winning run. Just watch." Again, thinking I wasn't serious, they laughed it off. What does Jae Seo do next? He walks Bobby Crosby.
Make it 8 in a row. Game over. A's win.

DAMMITTOHELLWHATTHEFUCKWHYDOESTHISALWAYSHAPPENTOTHEFUCKING
DODGERSITSNOTFAIRDAMMITIHATELIFECHICKENTASTESGOODDAMNYOUGRADY
LITTLEFORNOTTAKINGDEREKLOWEOUTSOONERANDBLOWINGTHELEADINTHE
FIRSTPLACEYOUASSHOLEDAMNYOUALLTOHELLIHATETHISSHITWHYCANTYOU
JUSTWINAFUCKINGGAMEYOUDAMNASSHOLESYOUCANALLGOTOHELL

I will now shove a spear through my brain. Happy Father's Day everyone!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home